Exmoor Young Voices has set up a new scheme offering on-going support for self builders on the moor. Young people on Exmoor wanting to build their own home can now benefit from:
‣ Help finding an inexpensive plot of land where Exmoor National Park are willing to consider planning permission for a S106 (local tie) build.
‣ Free support from self-builder Justin Tyers to create architectural plans for your self build. If you attended our Self Build Tour and workshops, you'll have already paid a visit to Justin's house. It's also been featured in the press.
‣ Weald & Downland training on working with natural materials & gaining practical skills.
‣ Help with securing a self build mortgage. We will advise you on the most likely sources & help you make your case.
‣ Support sourcing building materials (with a corporate buying mentality) from not-so-obvious sources.
‣ Mentoring from Justin Tyers to provide you with on-going support through the entire process.
If you would like to find out more about our Self Build Support scheme please email: email@example.com
BBC Radio Somerset recently featured EYV and housing on Exmoor on the Breakfast Show. Listen here: www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08wk5zp
The feature runs throughout the programme but starts at 1:16:00. Interviews include:
Did you catch Exmoor Young Voices' Chair, Will Lock on BBC Countryfile? He was interviewed as part of a feature on the 'new trend' of people escaping city life to move to the countryside, as a result of the recent pandemic.
Will made a valid point that while we can't blame people for wanting to move to Exmoor, it's sad when local people can't afford to stay on the moor due to low wages and the difficulty in finding affordable housing. He spoke of the lack of opportunities for young people on Exmoor and that for many, the only option is to move to a bigger town or city, where housing is cheaper. Some may suggest that an influx of people to the countryside could result in more affordable housing being built but surely this might mean even more 'competition' for locals looking for housing? That's the worry.
You can find the Countryfile programme here:
The feature starts around 11 mins 30 seconds in and Will is interviewed at 16 mins 30.
Let us know your thoughts!